Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Saying Good-Bye to Santa and Rudolph

We said good-bye to our stuffed Santa and Rudolph this morning.  Yesterday, Monkey helped me take down the tree and the rest of the Christmas decorations.  (I knew that if I didn't do it now, it'd be another month, and I hate dreading the take down.)  We talked a lot about the holiday, and how it was over, and how Monkey should play with Santa and Rudolph for one more day, and sleep with them for one more night, and then it'd be time to put them away.

He made good use of his last day, playing sleigh, loading it up with presents, and saying "Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas to all."  Santa got hurt going down the chimney, but Monkey gave him a bandaid.  I keep saying this, but I'm just amazed by the imaginative play.

Monkey wanted to know what was coming next--"Halloween?"  He asked if we'd get more pumpkins. We told him the next holiday would be J's birthday, so that was exciting for him.  I asked him what we should do, and he said we needed candles.  Of course, that means for the next two weeks, we'll be talking about baking a cake and singing "Happy Birthday," but it helps for him to look past Christmas.  I just love how much he embraced the holidays this year...I'm looking forward to next year, too.  The poor kid wanted to know when his birthday would be, but with 5 more months till he turns 3 (crazy!!), that's way too long for him to grasp.

Then, this morning, I let Monkey have the extra special treat of coming up to the attic with me, so he could put Santa and Rudolph away.  He always wants to know what's up there when I pull down the ladder, so he was more interested in looking around than in saying goodbye to Santa and Rudolph.  He gave them a few final kisses and hugs, and then he was all set to say good bye.  Later, he found the ribbon "harness" he'd been using and told me that needed to go away in the attic, too.

It all seems to be successful, but we'll see how it goes tonight when I pick him up from daycare!  At least there will still be Christmas lights around to look at on the drive home, though of course, those will be soon disappearing, too.


Totally random digression, but I just wanted to capture it here: we went to see a holiday lights display, and Monkey starts yelling excitedly about the "crack-a-nuts."  I can't figure out what he's talking about until I see the toy soldiers and finally realize he means "nutcracker."

He also still calls an octopus "opposite" and a granola bar is an "oll-gi-bar."  I love these mix ups...I know soon enough they'll fade away, just like "yo yo" (yogurt) and "toe" (toast) faded.


And finally, a Moose update: he's been sick with bronchiolitis :(  Friday night, we went into a pediatric urgent care center because he was wheezing a lot.  They gave him three back-to-back nebulizer treatments and started him on a dose of steroids.  He tested negative for RSV though, and no pneumonia or ear infection or flu.  We've been doing the neb every 4-6 hours since then.  Monday the symptoms seemed to peak, with a slight fever in the early AM, but we were headed back to the doctor for a follow-up anyway.  Basically, nothing new had happened, and we just need to keep doing what we're doing.  He is certainly the happiest sick baby I've ever seen though--nothing seems to bother him.  He isn't even waking that much more--3 times a night as opposed to 2, which happens on our good nights.  (We do still have lots of bad nights with more frequent wakings.)  Sometimes, though, he's harder to transition back down, but that's all.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain on the illness--we're on our 3Rd one in two weeks, and had a trip to the ER, too. I can't wait for spring!!!


Thanks for sharing! If you blog, I'd love to know about your site, too!